Friday, March 12, 2010

custom onesies

Babies grow so fast, like exponentially fast. My son hardly wore most of his 0-3 mos. clothes because he literally outgrew somethings overnight---just another reason I'm such a huge fan of secondhand stuff. But, everybody likes to buy something special for their sweet pea. One of my favorites purchases was a pack of plain white long-sleeve onesies filled with potential. I had other materials for this project on hand, like fat quarters of great fabrics, Heat N Bond, colorful buttons, and a bit of time while Big Boy was napping.
I made three different designs, but felt that two were really special; the skull + crossbones and the Mom tattoo. Both were made by ironing the adhesive to the fabrics, then drawing out a design and cutting it out. For the skull head and the heart I made the design layered by using two different fabrics, one slightly larger than the other. I had to write "Mom" on the tattoo using a black fabric paint marker, which is supposedly permanent. They both held up to the limited wear received before they too were outgrown, but in retrospect there are a few things I would do differently:

1. no buttons for eyes on older babies
2. use the sewing machine to go around the design for longevity
3. make them ahead of time for kickin' gifts



No comments: