Monday, March 15, 2010

Talavera bathroom sink


This sink was a labor of love that began on the streets of Playa Del Carmen. Out of all the street vendor items I was bound and determined to come home with a Talavera sink because the price was right...about $60 USD. After negotiating for hours, I finally decided on this lovely sink because the pattern is incredible. Yes, I carried it on the ferry back to Cozumel. Yes, it was my carry-on for two connecting flights back to Boston. Yes, it came to western Massachusetts to live in our new house. And yes, I needed to find the perfect sink cabinet to install it. I found a great IKEA free-standing kitchen base cabinet on craigslist, and I also managed to find the faucet too.

My mom and I made a template of the sink by flipping it onto paper and tracing around it, and then we came in about an inch to compensate for the lip around the perimeter. We cut out the shape with a jigsaw, and then put on three coats of marine-grade polyurethane to seal the wood top. Next we inserted the sink and sealed around it with plumber's putty. We cut a hole for the faucet and did all the plumbing inside the cabinet. When everything was in working order we caulked around the sink and the faucet.

I LOVE this sink. But, my husband and I just bought a new house that was a total dumpsville. It's being rehabbed, and the new bathrooms are really small, too small for this awesome custom sink cabinet. So now I have to decide if I take the sink with me and start a new version of this project all over, or leave it here to live with future tenants. I do have another Talavera sink, because my auntie also bought one in Mexico. Once the margaritas wore off she realized what in the world am I gonna do with this sink? The sink she picked out is cobalt blue and white. What do you think?

2 comments:

lisa oram said...

Just stumbled onto your blog from a comment you left on Betz White. . .you live in Western MA? So, do I - Amhert. Nice to "meet" you. Love your sink. Really, really do. You can leave it with me, if you want??!!! Just realized I can only leave a comment with my google ID. My blog is here: www.lisaoram.com

Jaime said...

Hi lisa oram,
Good to meet you too! I live in Williamstown---my sister-in-law lives in Northampton and works in Amherst! I'm glad you like the sink...I think it's really cool. I'm going to check out your blog. chat again soon :)