Sunday, March 7, 2010

life + death

Of course I said "yes!" when my friend asked about a custom pair of booties named after Linden Street. They were to be a gift for her new granddaughter, and Linden Street is a special place for their family. She requested a linden leaf be embroidered on top, and told me her favorite colors: lavender and green.

Stitching a serrated leaf design onto such a small area proved to be a challenge. A few tries and the handy seam ripper led me to a winning stitch. The final product is lovely and sweet, and feels just right for spring.

Just as we finished the booties I got a call from my Gram, which I let go to voice mail. No message. Followed by a text from my aunt; "call your grandma asap." I got a knot in my stomach. My biological father died yesterday at age 49. Fifteen years ago his father died at 55. The whole circle-of-life thing came to mind...not sure how to feel about all this.

No comments: